PC_Didcot0026The Horse & Jockey, Chilton, Steventon, Berks Proprietor Frederick William Woodley, Blacksmith, Wheelwright & Publican Unfranked Warland Andrew real photo postcard c 1910 (Ref: PC_ST0021)
PC_Didcot0027
PC_Didcot0028
PC_Didcot0029
PC_Didcot0030
PC_Didcot0031
PC_Didcot0032
PC_Didcot0033
PC_Didcot0034
PC_Didcot0035
PC_Didcot0036x
PC_Didcot0037x
PC_Didcot0038
PC_Didcot0039
PC_Didcot0040
PC_Didcot0041
PC_Didcot0042
PC_Didcot0043
PC_Didcot0044 (1)Real photo postcard - Franked Didcot 1911 - Pub: Wiggins, Post Office, Didcot (Ref: PC_Didcot0044 (1)) Station Hill, now known as Station Road, was constructed by the Great Western Railway Company in 1848 as a link from the new station, built in 1844, to the privately built and owned railway town of Northbourne which was largely complete by 1887. In 1904 the Company decided to build houses for their workers along the western side of Station Road. The buildings were carefully designed as an architectural group in blocks of six units with three large detached houses at the north end and a single detached house at the south end. They were built of brick with slate roofs and their stepped roof-lines and contrasting bonds of brickwork reflect the sloping nature of the site. The restrained Queen Anne/Georgian architectural style is typical of the Edwardian period. The buildings were among the first in the town to be provided with gas, then a recent innovation. The Council designated Station Road as a Conservation Area on 14 December 1982.
PC_DidcotBlewbury_0001
PC_DidcotHag_0001
PC_DidcotHag_0002
PC_DidcotHag_0003
PC_DidcotHag_0004
PC_DidcotHag_0005
PC_DidcotHag_0006Unused postcard - T.V.A.P. Oxford series CII 1482 (Ref: PC_DidcotHag_0006)
PC_DidcotHag_0009
PC_DidcotHag_0010
PC_DidcotHag_0011
PC_DidcotHag_0013
PC_DidcotHag_0014
PC_DidcotHag_0015
PC_DidcotHag_0016
PC_DidcotHag_0017RP postcard franked East Hagbourne 1907 - Pub: Warland Andrew, Abingdon East Hagbourne, Tadley Stream area Thanks to members of Didcot, Harwell & Hagbourne Facebook Group for identifying location
PC_DidcotHag_0018The view is of Main Road, outside number 26, looking towards the church (more up-to-date view left). The first house on the right is now Sundial Cottage and the Fleur de Lys pub is a couple of doors down - the cottages between no longer exist. Thanks to members of the Old Didcot, Harwell and Hagbourne Facebrook group for identifying the location.
PC_DidcotHag_0019 (1)
PC_DidcotHag_0020 (1)
PC_DidcotHag_0021 (1)
PC_DidcotHag_0022 (1)Unfranked RP postcard - Percy Simms, Chipping Norton EH6 (Ref: PC_DidcotHag0022 (1)). Thanks to members of the Old Didcot, Harwell & Hagbourne Facebook Group who have identified this location as also in the Hakka’s Brook area. A more recent photograph of the same building is below (courtesy of Julie Ann Godson).
PC_DidcotHag_0023 (1)Unfranked RP postcard - Pub: ? (Ref: PC_DidcotHag0023 (1)) Apparently the junction of Main Road, New Road and Blewbury Road, later the site of the War Memorial.
PC_DidcotHag_0024 (1)RP postcard franked E Hagbourne c 1910 - Pub: A C Wheeler, Oxford (Ref: PC_DidcotHag0024 (1)) Thanks to members of the Old Didcot, Harwell & Hagbourne Facebook Group who have identified this location as Hakka’s Brook, formerly Tadley Stream, looking North towards Main Road. To see this picture juxtaposed in B&W and colour click here .